Thursday, July 20, 2017

For the Love of Maps!

I love maps!  I have always loved maps!  I love exploring and finding new places to see.   Which road will take me somewhere new.  When I was little and my family would take a road trip I would look at where we were going and try look at different states in the atlas, remember the atlas?!?  When I was fresh out of college and moved to a big city one of the first things I got was a Mapsco.  Anyone remember that huge 3 ring binder with pages and pages of maps?  Fast forward a few (or more) years and who looks at a paper map any more?  When I'm going somewhere new I love to use the street view of Google maps to see what something will look like.  After I go somewhere new I like to go back and see what it looks like for someone else's view.  So, what about incorporating maps into the classroom?



Maps are a life skill.  You need to be able to read a map!  But what if you can create your own?  What would your map look like?  Google My Maps is just the thing to use to make your customized maps.  Making a map is as easy as searching the internet!  Using my maps you are able to mark certain locations, add images, link to websites, and more!  I am very excited about the possibilities of incorporating maps into currirulm with learners in the very near future!

I made a tutorial video that covers most of the aspects of creating your own My Map.  I hope you find it useful.

I was fortunate to share my love of My Maps with fellow educators.  Look at some of the wonderful ideas they have come up with to start using this tool with their learners! Where will your map making skills take you and your learners?

No comments:

Post a Comment