Wednesday, May 16, 2018

And the one became two!

Recently I was able to help a colleague with a task that wasn't necessarily difficult, but time consuming.  Printing name tags from a spreadsheet using mail merge is not difficult, but I have found it usually takes me a little time to get everything in just the right order so that the final product comes out looking pristine!

What seems like many, many, many years ago I would use the mail merge option with Word and Excel on a regular basis.  I recall one particular report I would run but the first and last name of learners would be in one column.  I needed the names in separate columns.  My colleagues and I would go through a series of steps to reach our desired outcome.  There were columns added & copied, formulas entered and the "Paste Special;" then, columns deleted.   


So faced with this task, I thought the clock wold tick by to complete the process.  But wait!  It was completed in only a few short seconds.  What could this be?  A simple action on a menu that took all the time and thinking away to perform a task?  Praise the spreadsheet heavens!
 
via GIPHY

No comments:

Post a Comment